NANNY CUGGLE'S KI SI MEIN - SERVES 4
1 large brown onion, chopped roughly
2-3 sticks celery, sliced
1/4 large cabbage, shredded (I know, cabbage - trust me)
500g beef mince
1 tblspn curry powder
1 pkt chicken noodle soup, plus 2 cups water
2 - 3 tblspns rice
1 cup frozen peas
- Heat some oil in a large pan and cook onion till soft;
- Add mince and cook til browned;
- Add curry powder, celery and cabbage and stir well;
- Add soup mix, rice and water, give it a good stir, then cover and leave on low heat for 20 mins, it should be simmering gently;
- Throw peas in and stir, leave simmering for another 5 mins or until rice is cooked.
*My toddler is a pretty good vege eater but I'm pleased and surprised she will go so far as to eat cabbage in this dish. Hubby, well, he's a bit of a 'snobby princess and the pea' he will eat lots of things, but they have to be a certain way. For a while I refused to pander to him but in the end I got jack of seeing him raiding the pantry for something other than what I slaved over. That's when I sat down with him and wrote a list of all his favourite foods and recipes (he is a very good cook, so I'm compteting with those expectations) and started noting the other dinners I make which he will and won't eat. Saves money, time and frustration all round.